Handheld ham radios are a cost-effective dual-band time slot DMR radio that can be used in analog and digital modes. The best handheld ham radios are well constructed to withstand impact. Their screens are clear, making them easy to read. It is important for these radios to have excellent audio or volume quality so that they can be used for effective communication and pass on clear messages. The radios often come with programming software that allows the user to create a codeplug and connect it to the desired talkgroup systems in a short amount of time. The best radios have great battery usage that allows them to be used for long periods of time, increasing their performance.
10. Baofeng DM-1701 Dual Band
The Baofeng DM-1701 is a two way digital and analog compatible radio with an FCC Part90 Certification. It comes with dual-band VHF/UHF coverage that runs on 136-174 and 400-470MHz. This radio comes with up to 3000 channels and can hold 120,000 contacts. It has a 1.77” color TFT display and comes with manual programming. The radio comes with color codes and DMR encryption and has 5 customized keys that allow quick feature access.
- This radio makes writing code plugs easier using the DM-1701 CPS mass editing support.
- Through direct mode, users can use the dual-slot to handle two groups of calls at the same time, provided they are at the same frequency point.
- The radio comes with a free programming cable for easier updates and software compatibility with Windows 7, 8 and All other operating systems are not supported.
9. Baofeng UV5RA Ham Two Way Radio
The Baofeng UV5RA comes with dual PTT Keys which enable independent A/B operation. It uses 105 codes “DCS” along with an additional 50 “CTCSS” programmable privacy codes. It has 128 channels with 1750Hz burst tone. The radio features include a battery save function, 0-9 grades VOX, DCS/CTCSS encoding, key lock and a flashlight.
- It also has an emergency alarm with an LED flashlight.
- The radio supports FM radio and comes with a keypad lock and monitor channel.
8. Baofeng UV-5R Dual Band Two Way Radio
This radio comes with an extra battery, which acts as a standby battery allowing it to be used for longer periods. It is easy to program with a support keyboard program and is PC compatible. It covers almost all commonly used frequencies and goes up to 520MHz. It is designed with advanced voice companding and squelches technology which removes any background noise for better audio.
- The radio has 128 channels which can be named for easy access.
- It also has 50 CTCSS/105 DCS codes to restrict irrelevant communications.
- The radio also features an LCD display, scanning function, a power saver, keypad lock, low battery alarm, Chinese and English prompt, battery voltage display, emergency alarm and a time-out timer.
- It uses a Li-ion battery with a capacity of 1800mAh.
7. TIDRADIO TD-F9GP
The TIDRADIO runs over a 65-108MHz frequency for FM receive and 136-175MHz and 400-520MHz with up to 10 miles of communication. It has a power transmitter output of 8W/5W/1W with a max of 8W. The radio comes with 128 memory channels of which 50 are CTCSS and 104 are DCS. It has a high/mid/low RF power setting.
- It features a dual-band display, with built-in VOX functionality, an LED flashlight, a keypad lock, an emergency alert, a low battery alert, and a scan function.
- The radio comes with an extra battery making it suitable for long use. It has a time-out time, a monitor channel and a 14.9” flexible antenna to increase long-range communication.
6. BoaFeng UV-5R
The Baofeng UV-5R transceiver is a compact unit that works over a frequency of 136-174MHz and 400-480MHz. It has a dual-band display, dual-frequency display, and dual standby. It outputs power at 4watts and has 128 channels.
- The radio has built-in VOX functionality, a 1750Hz burst time, FM Radio capability between 65.0MHz and 108.0MHz.
- It features an LED flashlight, a large LCD display, high/low RF power, and an emergency alert.
- The radio is designed with a keypad lock, monitor channel, and a ROGER Set.
5. Ham Radio UV-5R
This programmable radio uses the accompanying keypad or programming cable to program the desired frequencies into the radio. It has a frequency range of 136 – 174MHz VHF and 400-520MHz UHF. The FM radio reception allows frequencies of 65.0 – 108.0 MHz with a frequency stability of plus or minus 2.5ppm.
- The radio comes with a dual-band display and has a tri-color backlight LCD display, with a built-in LED flashlight.
- It has 8W/5W/1W switch transmitting power running 128 memory channels.
4. Baofeng BF-F8HP
It is an 8Watt dual band two-way radio with a hardened durable outer radio shell. It also comes with a battery that is 30 percent larger and a V-85 high gain antenna that spots twice the antenna performance.
- The radio works over a frequency range of 65-108MHz and receives commercial FM radio reception. It has a 136-174MHz VHF or 400-520MHz UHF.
- The radio is designed to be extremely user friendly with customer support and an in-depth manual to get you started.
3. Ham Radio Walkie Talkie
The ham radio walkie talkie is a dual-band 2-way radio that comes with 2 rechargeable 2100mAh batteries, an earpiece, and a programming cable. It is designed with RF power output of 8W/5/W/1W or high/Medium/Low power. The radio supports keyboard or PC programming, making it ideal for home, outdoor and workplace use.
- It supports 12-20hours of continuous use and comes with a car charger adapter.
- The radio has a frequency range of 65 -108 MHz with a 128 channel memory. It is widely compatible with other radios such as the BF-F8HP/UV 82HP.
2. Baofeng UV-82HP
This radio comes in five colors, blue, red, yellow, grey and black. It is a high power dual-band radio and comes in 5 colors? It has high, medium and low power settings with a frequency range of 65-108MHz.
- It is a versatile radio, that has external accessories, FM radio, flashlight, and an emergency flashlight.
- The radio has one built-in receiver that can watch two channels. It will monitor both frequencies prioritizing the first station.
- The dual push-to-talk switch can be synchronized using software that simplifies the radio’s operation.
- The high gain V-85 antenna optimizes performance.
1. Yaesu FT-4XR
This dual-band handheld VHF/UHF transceiver is powered by 5Watts and has 3 selectable power settings of 5W/2.5W and 0.5W. It works over a frequency of 136-174MHz and 400-480MHz.
- The radio comes with a 1750mAh Li-ion battery and a 3.5-hour rapid charger.
- It comes with a severe weather alert, a PC programming cable, transponder system, CTCSS/DCS operation, busy channel lockout, automatic power off, transmitter time out timer.